"The Stuff That Dreams Are Made Of" ... Bogart, Shakespeare, The Maltese Falcon, Those Great Movies

Friday, August 5, 2011

Cast of Mystery Science Theatre 3000...A Really Bad Movie...A Real Theatre...Sounds Like Fun to Me!

Would you like to see an unintentionally terrible movie and laugh until your stomach hurts? I've got just the thing for you. If you are in or anywhere near the Indianapolis area, get yourself over to the UA Galaxy Stadium 14 theatre on Wednesday, August 17th at 8:00 p.m. The best movie theatre in Indianapolis will be presenting a live showing (via satellite) of Jack The Giant Killer, as only the cast from Mystery Science Theatre 3000 (MST3K) could do it. Appearing to present the movie will be Mike Nelson, the unwitting dunce shot into space by a mad scientist and forced to watch bad movies; Kevin Murphy (the voice of robot Tom Servo); and Bill Corbett (the voice of Crow T. Robot). They will be doing their famous and hilarious snarking of a movie that you would not want to see any other way! At theatres all around the country, fans will be experiencing real-time fun together.

Released by United Artists in 1962, Jack the Giant Killer was not intended to be a Mystery Science Theatre 3000 (MST3K) victim, but that's the way it turned out.  The cast includes hunky Kerwin Matthews of The Three Worlds of Gulliver and The 7th Voyage of Sinbad fame; Torin Thatcher, wonderful character actor who specialized in flashy, unforgettable villains and also starred in Sinbad with Matthews; and Judi Meredith as the Princess (there is always a Princess).  Meredith is a lovely girl who did a lot of TV work, but I don't remember her at all.  The story abounds with witches, sorcery and, obviously, a Giant.  Sounds good, doesn't it?  It's not, at least not the way director and co-writer Nathan Juran made it.  Juran actually directed two of my favorite sci-fi movies, the aforementioned Sinbad, and Ray Harryhausen's 20 Million Miles To Earth.  Well, you can't win 'em all!  Co-writer Orville Hampton also penned screenplays for such blockbuster sci-fi hits as The Alligator People, The Snake Woman and Rocketship X-M -- HUH?  Maybe Hampton was part of the problem here.  It also didn't help that the movie was produced by the rather obscure Edward Small Productions.  (That sounds uncomfortably close to "Edward D. Wood, Jr. Productions", which most film enthusiasts know was responsible for the worst movie ever made, Plan 9 From Outer Space.) 

Here in Indianapolis, The Galaxy Stadium 14 is an audience-friendly, well-run and very comfortable place to watch a movie.  (And no, I don't work there - I just like it!)  The Galaxy is located at 8105 East 96th Street, Indianapolis, IN 46256.  It is on the south side of 96th Street, just east of Hague Road, and can be easily accessed by interstate from any direction.  To make your evening more special, there are many good restaurants and bars within walking distance of the theatre. 

If you are 5 minutes or an hour away from Indianapolis, it would be worth your while to take a nice summer evening drive and come to have a great time.  Tickets are available at Fandango.com -- just search for Rifftrax and look for Jack the Giant Killer.  You can also call the theatre for further ticket information at 317-570-5678.  I'll be there with my son -- we are both MST3K enthusiasts.  Hope you can join us!

You just know that the MST3K guys won't be able
to resist mentioning Thatcher's hat!
Our lowly farm boy hero and his gal... Oops,
I mean, Her Royal Highness, the Princess!

8 comments:

  1. Becky, I actually like JACK THE GIANT KILLER! It's not nearly as good as the aforementioned Harryhausen films, but there are some good SPX by Jim Danforth (perhaps the 2nd best stop-motion animator of that period) and Torin Thatcher is a great villain. Of course, I've liked several movies featured on MST3K. That series was often hilarious and, if I lived near Indy, I'd probably be there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becky, just a note to let you know that I've got an award for you waiting at my blog. Since I don't know how to do links back from these comments. Just hit my name and it will take you back to my award post. You can lift the award icon from there if you're in the mood.

    If you're not, that's okay too. I like to keep these award things fluid. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Becky, I loved your review, and I wish I could join you guys in Indianapolis to enjoy the MST3K big-screen JACK THE GIANT KILLER show! (I don't know about you, Becks, but I've always thought there oughta be a dash between "GIANT" and "KILLER." :-)) I bet you and your son will have a blast! If you can, please review it here on CLASSIC BECKY'S BRAIN FOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Becky,
    Like Rick29, I genuinely enjoy JtGK--sure it's a Sinbad rip-off, but man, does it work overtime: lots of opticals, tons of stop-motion effects, wild costumes--and when Judi Meredith turns "evil"? Va-va-va-voom! JtGK has a crude vitality that in my mind makes it a worth entry into the fantasy genre. BTW, Nflix has it as a streamer. I recommend it.
    Thanks,
    Ivan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Becky, this just in: Thanks to our friend and fellow blogger Yvette, you've been chosen as one of the recipients of the Liebster Blog! Congratulations, my friend! Wanna spread the blogger love? Just pick 5 bloggers you think deserve kudos, mention them on your blog, and link back to the blog which gave you the award (in this case, Tales of the Easily Distracted :-)). Got questions? Ask Yvette:

    http://yvettecandraw.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks guys! RICK, I mentioned to you earlier that I do like Jack, but can see it could be a lot of fun to snark!
    YVETTE -- thank you! What an honor from someone whose blog is as good as yours is! I will definitely keep it going!
    DORIAN, I though it would be fun to take my movie notebook and keep track of the funny stuff the MST3K guys say, then do a followup. Giant-Killer...too true. And I appreciate your heads-up with my award from Yvette - how cool is that?
    IVAN, thanks for the head-up. I have Instant Streaming and haven't seen Jack in years!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Let's not forget that Nathan Juran also directed the 1958 version of Attack of the 50-foot Woman, a film that, if it wasn't done already, richly deserves an MST3K viewing... The Indianapolis event sounds like it will be great fun; wish I could be there, since I love the MST3K crowd, especially Mike Nelson. If you manage to see it, please give us an update!

    ReplyDelete
  8. GOM, I can't believe the MST3K boys would omit 50-Foot Woman, but you know I don't remember ever seeing it there. Wish you could come too! I plan to take my trusty movie notebook, mark down some of the gang's best snarks, and do a post on it!

    ReplyDelete