"The Stuff That Dreams Are Made Of" ... Bogart, Shakespeare, The Maltese Falcon, Those Great Movies

Sunday, February 28, 2016

One Last Kiss -- Errol and Olivia

On Valentine's Day, the talented writer of Second Sight Cinema hosted a blogathon called "A Kiss Is Just A Kiss."  I was not able to participate, but I'd like to offer a belated article about one of the most sensuous and touching kisses in the classic era.  (Don't miss the other wonderful articles in the blogathon by clicking here:  http://secondsightcinema.com/happy-valentines-day-weekend-welcome-to-the-you-must-remember-this-a-kiss-is-just-a-kiss-blogathon/.)


Errol Flynn and Olivia DeHavilland were one of the most famous movie couples.  They were a match made in heaven, and were together in several films.  Of course there was plenty of kissing, but the  sweetest, most genuine kiss was in "They Died With Their Boots On."  This 1941 Warner Brothers production was, as were most of the historical films of the period, full of inaccuracies and made-up Hollywood stories.  We may know more now than at that time, but it doesn't change the excitement of the movie at all.  The relationship between George Armstrong Custer and his wife, Libby Bacon, was pretty close to the truth, at least in the love they had for each other.  The movie portrayed this beautifully.  Toward the end, Custer  prepares for what would be the battle of the Little Big Horn, and the scene of their parting is, to me, their best.  It never fails to bring a tear.  As a woman, it rings true, as it must for men from their point of view. 

Olivia and Errol likely did not know that this would be their last film together.  The scene is all the more poignant to us now.  Enjoy a wonderful piece of film, and a wonderful kiss.





15 comments:

  1. A movie kiss filled with meaning and from an excellent movie. I don't let the white-washed character of Custer in the film bother me, but cheer for the movie hero and revel in the emotion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same way, CW -- it's a wonderful movie, no matter what.

      Delete
  2. A lovely post, Becky belated or not—I am late in posting a wrap-up and will link to this sometime in the next day or so...

    Lesley
    Second Sight Cinema

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much -- I need to get over to your blog too!

      Delete
  3. They were one of the great romantic screen couples and seemed to have a true affection for one another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they did too, Rick, from everything I've read and heard from Olivia over the years. The best!

      Delete
  4. A great and extremely moving scene even if pure fiction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree John -- a wonderful love scene. Most of those historical movies were pretty much fiction too, but wonderfully entertaining!

      Delete
  5. Too bad I was their last, they were so ideal a screen couple - super chemistry on the screen and true affection as well. It was great hearing about Errol's life from his daughter Rory here at the Coronado Film Festival - I thought of you Becky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry I'm so tardy answering you, Christian. I agree...I wish they had made more movies. That was sweet of you to think of me at that festival -- wish I could have gone with you!

      Delete
  6. You sneaky wench - I'll bet you were imagining you instead of Olivia as the recipient of that kiss. Seriously - a lovely post. They certainly were a delicious couple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boy am I late answering you, Chick! Yes, I am a sneaky wench -- I always wanted to be a sneaky wench!

      Delete
  7. One of my favorite movies, and one of my favorite scenes. And the chemistry between Errol & Olivia is wonderfully complemented by Max Steiner's music. I've been a big fan of classic Warner Bros. films since first seeing them on TV in the 1960s, and "Boots" is one of my Top Five from the studio.






    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear ClassicBecky,

    Greetings from the Pure Entertainment Preservation Society! This is a fine article. Olivia de Havilland's performance in that clip was very beautiful and heartfelt. She is one of my favorite actresses, and she was indeed a profit to the Golden Era. It's amazing to think that she's still alive!

    I, Rebekah Brannan, have not participated much in the blog world in the past, but I intend to become more involved now.

    I would like very much for you to participate in my upcoming blogathon, The Singing Sweethearts Blogathon, which will be my first real participation in PEPS. This blogathon, which will be hosted around Valentine’s Day, is celebrating the famous singing team Jeanette MacDonald and Nelson Eddy.

    You can read the rules of the blogathon at: https://pureentertainmentpreservationsociety.wordpress.com/2017/12/20/ring-the-assembly-bell-here-comes-the-singing-sweethearts-blogathon/. If you want to join, please comment and tell me your topic, if you have chosen one. I hope you’ll join me in honoring this brilliant team and the holiday of love!

    Joyfully,

    Rebekah Brannan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do you want to have power and influence over others, To be charming and desirable, To have wealth, health, without delaying in a good human posture and becoming an immortal? If yes, these your chance. It's a world of vampire where life get easier,We have made so many persons vampires and have turned them rich, You will assured long life and prosperity, You shall be made to be very sensitive to mental alertness, Stronger and also very fast, You will not be restricted to walking at night only even at the very middle of broad day light you will be made to walk, This is an opportunity to have the human vampire virus to perform in a good posture. If you are interested contact us on Vampirelord7878@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete