What's It All About?

What's It All About?

Saturday, December 26, 2015

Thank You, Charlie Chaplin

Could anyone but Chaplin have acted a part, and been able to put
into one expression the sweetness of desire and hope without hope?

Christmas night for me is a time of quiet and a time for quiet thoughts.  It seems to me unexpected that a quote I ran across by the dear Charlie Chaplin has spoken strongly to my mind and heart.  Chaplin was an agnostic and I'm a Catholic.  He believed in a supreme being, but he said he didn't know exactly what He was like.  I believe in God and the ultimate meaning of life, yet I think it wise of him to say, "What do you want meaning for?  Life is a desire, not a meaning."

The great overall divine meaning is one thing to understand ... more difficult is trying to understand the times of travails of this world that leave you battered and buffeted over a lifetime.  I have said "Why?" to many things. I have spent too much time trying to find earthly meaning of things that just happen.  My faith pulls me out of it eventually, but I think it is also my ever-present desire to build the life I reach for.  This is where Chaplin's thought touches me.  I've always been one to plan, to wait for something to happen, to accept the idea of someday, always someday.  It's a particular fault in me. 

Chaplin inspires me with the thought of life where a well-disposed desire is equal to meaning.  Anyway, that's the way it hit me.  I want to bring this intention to life, even with my blog.  I changed its description to utilize Chaplin's words, as well as a favorite picture of him in a favorite movie.  Does my blog have meaning?  Charlie would say, what's the difference?  I want to do it, I desire to make it an even better place to write and share with others, and someday should just be now.  Thanks, little tramp....

There was so much more to the Little Tramp
than most people ever knew of.


Silent Night, Holy Night






 

10 comments:

  1. Beautifully said and thoughtful. Your blog expresses your love of cinema and art. That's makes it important for you and for many of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, John. I was a little emotional last night, but that's me all over!

      Delete
  2. Well done Becky, I was thinking "why" is a tough nut to crack, Maybe "what" is more manageable for most of us as in what small thing can I do for someone else..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Why" doesn't take you anywhere, does it? Your thought to say "what" can take you everywhere, and you are wise to say so. Thanks, baby.

      Delete
  3. Year-end is not usually my time for resolutions, but my innate stubbornness, which has seen me through much, is lately adding to the struggle. "Row Row Row Your Boat" is the 2016 philosophy. For company I'll keep Classic Becky and Charlie in the boat to keep me heading in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just adore the way you always boil things down to a wonderful essence ... I want to row with you!

      Delete
  4. Oh my friend, how your post touched me deeply. You know I adore Charlie. He understood the poetry of life - the essential beauty in our existence here. Our life - and the beauty we make and find - in the here and now is all we know and have. I look forward to your new perspective and the places it takes you. HUgs and kisses and all the best in 2016.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was emotional when I wrote this, but then, that's me! The poetry of life ... that is exactly what Charlie brought to us. I am excited about the feelings that I have found ... thank you with all my heart, Chick!

      Delete
  5. Thanks for giving us something to mull over during this holiday season.

    It's a good question you asked, about a blog having meaning. I'd never thought of it that way before but I'd have to say a resounding Yes! Your post here – and all the comments – are proof of it.

    Thanks for sharing so much of yourself with us. You made me a little emotional as I was reading it. :)å

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much ... isn't it nice to write something that makes someone emotional? I was certainly that way when I wrote it! Hey, Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete